Re: #\a octothorpe syntax vs SRFI 10

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 58 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 58 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Taylor Campbell wrote:

>I'd like to point out here that bear left out a lot of the content of
>my previous message.

Y'know what?  They didn't take my initial advice either.
You don't see me demanding that the argument continue.

I don't think there's going to be any possible response
short of agreeing with you that you will feel is fair
and just and "acknowledges your points".  I'm not going
to agree with you, so there's no point continuing.

I wanted an extremely terse syntax using the square brackets.
It turned out that nobody else wanted it, based on aesthetic
objections.

You wanted an extremely verbose syntax using srfi-10.
It turned out that nobody else wanted it, based on aesthetic
objections.

Several people have contributed here, and the process
revealed that the common-lispish array syntax currently
in the srfi has the most widespread support on aesthetic
grounds.  Okay with me, I guess; these guys know what they're
doing and they've heard both of us. I'm tired of arguing,
I can live with the result of the consensus process, and
I'm ready to let it drop.

				Bear