Re: SRFI-10 syntax vs. #nA syntax

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 58 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 58 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

 | Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 22:36:56 -0800
 | From: Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 |
 | bear wrote:
 |
 | > At this point I have only one question:  For a rank-5
 | > array, why #5A(...) instead of #A5(...)?
 |
 | Maybe #A5 is marginally better, but I think compatibility
 | with the prior art of Common Lisp argues for #5A.  That's
 | not an overwheming argument, but (I think) tips the scales
 | in favor of #5A.

Yes.

 | More technical argument: What happens with a rank-0 array?
 | In APL this is equivalent to a scalar, and in any case a
 | rank-0 array has a single element.  Given the choice
 | between #A0XXX and #0AXXX, the latter is better since the
 | former leads to ambiguities.

Good point.  In SCM:

 #0a237         ==> #0A 237

Our element sizes introduce a less severe ambiguity for rank=0:

"#0a:real-32237" chokes SCM, but "#0a:real-32 237" works.

Should we add that a delimiter must follow the #nA or #nA:typename
prefix?