Re: Encodings.

Paul Schlie wrote:
> Please take a look at their typical api's for data interface &
> storage, you may change your mind.

I am already quite familiar with the API for record-based text I/O on
mainframe systems. You don't need to do anything special, just read and
write. Cobol and C compilers do that just fine in that environment, but
only because they abandon the "text is a filtered byte stream"
abstraction that is totally inappropriate for those systems.

This is an *old* issue, and the solutions are well-known. Your zeal for
imposing an abstraction upon systems where it doesn't make sense is
impressive but misguided.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd