Re: Encodings.

At Fri, 13 Feb 2004 03:00:51 -0500, Paul Schlie wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing the boat, but from the best I can tell, all
> discussions seem to be leading to the erroneous presumption that it's
> adequate for scheme to restrict itself to exclusively processing data
> originating, and destined as Unicode encoded text, which would be
> most unfortunate.

I don't think that this is the case. PLT Scheme, for instance (you may
have seen Matthew's recent post on the plt-scheme mailing list), is
going to have byte ports. If you do read-char on a byte port, the bytes
coming out of the port will be interpreted as unicode (utf8 I believe,
unless you specify otherwise) but you can also extract the bytes from
the port directly.

Robby