Re: handling multiple scheme instances

From: Tom Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: handling multiple scheme instances
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:29:16 -0800 (PST)

> Every function should take an extra parameter which represents the
> particular Scheme instance under consideration.   I might be running
> two different Scheme worlds in one process.

To what extent should those Scheme instances share?

 (a) addess space : whether a reference to an object from one
        world can be passed to another world.
 (b) binding name space (symbol -> global variable mapping) :
        whether a global binding in one world is visible
        to another world or not.
 (c) control flow and data stack : whether you can "fork" a
        world to two worlds sharing the activation records.

Related to this, I think the API concerning global bindings
should take a context information corresponding to (b)---e.g.
my Scheme needs "module" argument to determine which global
binding the name refers.

--shiro