Re: Call for withdrawal

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 44 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 44 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

> There is no clear outline on how to build a bag or set. There's no
> implementation of those collections at all. In an SRFI, you can't just
> wave your hands and insist that the implementation is obvious. Until you
> provide an actual implementation, there's no guarantee that your design
> doc is implementable at all. Yes, you've implemented parts of it, but
> large chunks are missing, and the SRFI itself is not sufficient to
> create an implementation.

The *only* type for which a concrete implementation does not exist is
Set.  List and Vector are both sequences and thus bags.  Alist covers
dictionaries.  List is a flexible sequence.  That you believe problems
will arise when a set is implemented, despite the interface being
rigorously defined dozens of times before in other languages is really
shocking.

> Parts of this SRFI are implemented only in outline form, if even that.
> My opinion is that the outline is not adequate, because there's no proof
> of concept. Even if you don't want to specify a concrete bag and set in
> the SRFI itself, I insist that examples of use are necessary to
> demonstrate that the interface description is actually implementable.

Insist all you like, your arguments without supporting fact amount to an
insult to implementors, of which I am one.

>     Note that this is never a permanent rejection, because creation of
>     an implementation of one of the other types is a complete refutation
>     of this basis for rejection.
>
> Again, I recommend that you set aside your personal desires and
> recognize that this SRFI is incomplete.

I assure you my personal desires do not enter into this, otherwise we
would be faced with a very different SRFI already.  What I object to is
your hand-waving notion that the SRFI is incomplete without any specific
criticisms other than "I don't think its implementable."  Its quite
implementable, as Mr. Campbell will atest to, having
*portably* implemented every collection type in the SRFI with the
exception of sets.

	Scott