Re: Experience issues

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 44 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 44 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 02:13:41PM -0700, Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> I'd also like to see some examples of the collections in use, to show
> whether the interfaces are actually useful and intuitive. A good example
> would be a function which sorts all the elements of a bag.

> Basically, I'm worried by the lack of a usability design goal (indeed,
> I've seen just the opposite), and I've seen too may examples of
> incompatible definitions. While redefining the original "vector-set!"
> may work well on the Scheme implementation you're using, it would work
> horribly on PLT Scheme. (SRFI-44 is not alone there. SRFI-1 has a few
> interfaces which just don't work on PLT.)

SRFI-1 is a well designed SRFI.  That anything in it cannot be
implemented in PLT (which I'm quite surprised of) would speak poorly of
PLT, not the SRFI.

> Basically, I'm asking whether you've eaten enough of your own dogfood to
> know what it tastes like. If not, you may want to hold off on releasing
> the SRFI to know whether it's something people will actually *want* to
> use.

I've eaten similar dog food in a lot of languages.  If someone else
volunteers to do what you ask, great.