Re: continuations and threads

>>>>> "Matthias" == Matthias Felleisen <matthias@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Matthias> May I ask a heretical question (especially from me):

Not too heretical, considering Peter Lee's papers on the subject.

Matthias>  How many of you use call/cc and continuation objects
Matthias>  (rather than mimicing continuations with lambda's)
Matthias>  in large programs? Do "we" really use it to implement
Matthias>  coroutines and backtracking and threads and whatever?

In general, sure.  You guys don't because call/cc is slow in MzScheme.

Matthias>  Is call/cc necessary for Scheme?

Matthias> [Don't shoot. I wrote many papers on all aspects of call/cc
Matthias> but now that we're building large systems we should revisit
Matthias> these questions. I'd love to be wrong here.]

It may often be possible to replace call/cc with something less
powerful in the final product.  It sure as hell is very useful for
experimentation during the development process.  Moreover, it's an
excellent teaching device.  (Also, there's the major coolness factor,
especially if you don't have hygienic macros :-} )

--
Cheers =8-} Mike