Re: perhaps I've missed something ...

Shriram Krishnamurthi <shriram@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>Per Bothner wrote:
>> An equally plausible explanation is that they were not taught
>> (properly) the concepts of references (lvalues)

> ... which would be perfectly legitimate, because they were being
> taught Scheme, not C ...

Please read for context, which is about students that:
Michael> had been confused by the obscurity in programming
Michael> languages they had learned before.

Shriram> Given that Scheme is a [call-by-value] language, it's not
Shriram> clear what else they would be taught.

But if they were confused by Michael's example, I guess they had
not *learned* call-by-value.
--
	--Per Bothner
per@xxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.bothner.com/~per/