Re: updated draft

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 115 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 115 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Alex Shinn scripsit:

> Expensive is the O(n^3) for the next step up the Chomsky hierarchy.
> I think exponential warrants the use of "prohibitively."  The feature
> is included mostly for completeness, for round-trip conversion from
> existing PCRE libraries, and I think the advice that it should never
> actually be used is warranted.

It's awfully handy for things like /<([a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z0-9-]*>[^<]*</\1>/,
though (given some restrictions that often apply in practice, like no
recursive elements and no non-ASCII element names).

> More importantly, while I appreciate your attention to editorial
> detail, I think you need to lighten up.  We had to be very precise
> for the core document because there were a lot of eyes on it and
> people were very, very picky about exactly what went into it.
> This is just a SRFI for a library, and I think a little opinion and dare
> I say "color" from the authors should be allowed.

I'll drop this issue now.  But as a counter-point, remember that you're
writing for R7RS-large here, as I have no intention of merging all these
SRFIs into a single megadoc; I'm going to incorporate them by reference.

> Right now what we want more than anything is people jumping
> in and writing new SRFIs.  It's a tiring and thankless enough task
> as it is without requiring that the prose be boring.

+1

> And the same all prefixed with `non-greedy-' I suppose?
> `non-greedy-one-or-more', ...

Yes.

--
[W]hen I wrote it I was more than a little              John Cowan
febrile with foodpoisoning from an antique carrot       cowan@xxxxxxxx