Re: SRFI 105: Curly-infix-expressions

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 105 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 105 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

John Cowan doesn't like the name "neoteric" and points out that:
> <http://virgil.gr/1/MicroCosmicGod.pdf>
ends with:
> "Some day the Neoterics, after innumerable generations of inconceivable
> advancement, will take down their shield and come forth. When I think
> of that I feel frightened."

Yes, but I think that story's beginning makes it clear that it is a light-hearted tale, not be taken TOO seriously:
> "Here is a story about a man who had too much power, and a man who
> took too much, but don't worry; I'm not going political on you. The
> man who had the power was named James Kidder and the other was his banker.

Yes, the story raises interesting moral issues, but I think the author was telling the story with a smile.  And again, I *like* the conceit that this notation was developed by a 3-inch-tall technologically-advanced species, and then passed on to a grateful and unsuspecting humanity.  The conceit is more interesting than reality :-).

It was hard enough coming up with a unique name.  prefix-expressions => p-expressions sounds like "pee-expressions", and function-expressions => f-expressions sounds like "f*n-expressions".  "m" and "s" are already taken.  I'm willing to entertain alternatives (got any?), but I'm not really excited about creating yet another name.  It took a long discussion to get to that one. Besides, if the biggest problem is the name, life is good :-).

--- David A. Wheeler