Encoding Windows reserved charactes

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 103 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 103 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

I think it is sensible to require encoding of all the characters that
Windows doesn't allow in path components, viz.  #\<, #\>, #\:, #\|,
#\?, #\*, and #x0; through #x1F;.  Posix allows all but #\x0;, but
the remainder, though technically permitted, are nothing but nuisances
in pathname components, as they must be escaped when referred to from
the shell.  (#\: is an exception, but doesn't show up in Posix filenames
often either.)

In addition, the Windows executive treats #\\ and #\/ both as path
separators, a fact occasionally convenient, although the UI disallows #\/.
So I'd escape both of them in all cases too.

--
Work hard,                                      John Cowan
play hard,                                      cowan@xxxxxxxx