Re: SRFI naming

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI discuss from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI discuss contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

>> From: sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Michael Sperber [Mr.  Preprocessor])

>> I'm confused.  You said that
>>
>> > Presumably, most SRFI authors will choose a unique name on their
>> > own, but if two of them really want just plain "foo", then they can
>> > both have it.
>>
>> ... so your proposal just won't cut it.  (I see numbers attached to
>> the names.  What are they?)

al> They are the shortname serial numbers.  Did you ever read the message
al> that started this thread?

Yes, I did.  I'm sorry if I expressed myself poorly: I know what it's
supposed to mean, but I fail to see how it's easier to rememember than
the SRFI serial number.

>> But the fundamental question remains: I *still* fail to see what
>> problems you folks are expecting to solve substantially better than
>> the status quo does it.

al> I have to wonder if perhaps this is because you haven't been
al> thoroughly reading the messages to which you respond.  I recommend,
al> again, that you try re-reading the archive.

I did just that.  But apparently David Rush has come to the same
conclusion as I did.  I therefore ask you to answer the question we're
both asking, namely what problem you're trying to solve.  You may feel
you've answered it before, but you sure haven't been getting across to
me.

al> I'm not suggesting that a library system would need to support the
al> name string-lib as the name for a library that implemented SRFI 13.
al> I'm only suggesting that if a system allows you to refer in some way
al> to SRFI 13 with the identifier srfi-13, that it should also allow you
al> to refer to it as srfi-string-lib-1.

I still don't get it.  What's preventing you from using any name you like?

--
Cheers =8-} Mike