Re: why generative?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 99 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 99 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

From: William D Clinger <will@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: why generative?
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 19:38:46 -0400 (EDT)

> Indeed, I regard the uid extension as mostly a proof
> of concept, to show that this SRFI could be extended
> to serve as a basis for implementations of the R6RS
> record system.
[...]
> I think our archived discussion of this may be useful
> in the future, but this optional feature does not have
> to hold up resolution of the SRFI.

I understand that, and it is ok as far as the extension
is an option only to support r6rs semantics.  My only
concern is that somebody take the words on uid as the
only way, or definitive recommendation to implement
non-generative rtds.   If it is noted that using uid
per R6RS is one way to realize non-generative rtds,
I don't have anything more on this srfi.

--shiro