how to pass a keyword as an argument?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 89 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 89 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Maybe you have solved that already, but just for clarification:

If keywords are just constants (like integers), but
procedure application recognizes these keywords to
supply keyword-arguments, then how do I pass a keyword
value to a procedure?

Is there any syntactic difference at the call site, i.e.
can I determine from (paint color: "red") whether paint has
one (named color:) or two arguments (a keyword and a string)?

As an alternative, the ambiguity would go away if the
syntax extension requires parentheses for the keyword-
arguments. This might even allow simple implementations
as 'implicitly defined procedures', i.e. each identifier
ending in ':', say <keyword>:, is defined as

  (lambda args (apply make-option '<keyword> args)),

where <keyword> is a lexical variable. The only modification
to procedure calls is that they collect all the optional
arguments in a special variable available to the procedure.
It boils down to syntax like (paint (color: "red") (button: 'push)).

[I am in favor of your mechanism for named arguments but
would like to explore the implications and alternatives.]

Sebastian.