Re: Alternative formulations of keywords

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 88 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 88 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Marc Feeley scripsit:

> Most Scheme systems allow separate compilation (think of "load").  [...]
> You have the same problem.  So it doesn't suffice for the function
> definition to be global.

I think this argument is strong enough that I will drop #1 (without
prejudice, as the lawyers say: meaning that if someone comes up with
a good counterargument I may revive #1).

There remains #2, which converts keyword-argument pairs to a-lists.
This requires only that it be lexically apparent what is and what is not
a keyword, not that the actual set of keywords for a function be known.
(Still awaiting a use case for (foo bar baz zam) where baz evaluates
to a keyword at runtime.)

I will also formally add #3 now, in which the keywords are syntactic
sugar for procedure *names* like foo:bar:baz:zam:.

In both cases higher-order invocations are possible, though not with
keyword syntax.  #2 requires more work at run-time but avoids possible
combinatorial explosions.  #3 requires nothing at run-time but may create
an explosion of code space.

> The way I see it you are forbidding the use of higher-order functions
> in combination with named optional parameters.  That would be a
> serious limitation for a functional language like Scheme.

It would, and I certainly don't want that.

--
My confusion is rapidly waxing          John Cowan
For XML Schema's too taxing:            cowan@ccil.org