Re: Fresh syntax

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Bradley Lucier wrote:
> The first was that the authors of SRFI-77 don't seem to have any
> problem removing quotient and remainder, which match hardware
> operations on nearly every known architecture, and which I'm
> sure many, many more programs use than use syntax-case. If there
> is a hardware architecture that has single instructions for the
> proposed div or mod on small integers, I don't know what it is.

I expect the quotient, remainder, and modulo procedures
of R5RS to be provided by an R5RS-backward-compatibility
library of some sort.

The same compiler techniques that would be used to
compile fixnum+ into a single instruction would be
used to compile quotient into a single instruction
on architectures that make that possible.

Will