Re: straw-man [was Re: arithmetic issues]

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Aubrey Jaffer wrote:
  Moreover, the R5RS generic arithmetic is difficult to implement as
  efficiently as purely fixnum or purely flonum arithmetic.

"Interpreter-branch" disproves this asserertion as far as interpreters
with immediate fixnums and boxed numbers are concerned.

No it does not. It shows that one can make generic arithmetic for ONE representation as fast as type-specific arithmetic.

For example, suppose we want to optimize for fixnums first and flonums second. We write the generic arithmetic code as follows and arrange to predicting that the conditions are true:

  if (all arguments are fixnums)
    deal with fixnums
  else if (all arguments are flonums)
    deal with flonums
  else
    deal with the general case

When you use this code with fixnums, the first branch is correctly predicted and there is very little cost. However, when you use this code with flonums, the first branch is incorrectly predicted and there can be a significant cost.

Regards,

Alan
--
Dr Alan Watson