Re: reading NaNs

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

 | From: Bradley Lucier <lucier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 | Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:25:46 -0500
 |
 | On Oct 24, 2005, at 3:32 PM, Aubrey Jaffer wrote:
 |
 | > ;;;; integer-sqrt attributed to Bradley Lucier by Steve VanDevender.
 |
 | I didn't invent this method, I got it from
 |
 | http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/code/math/isqrt/isqrt.txt
 |
 | as the thread in Google Groups shows.

Thanks for the correction.  I changed the attribution to:

  Akira Kurihara
  School of Mathematics
  Japan Women's University

 | This method is about half as fast as the method in
 |
 |    ;; Derived from the paper "Karatsuba Square Root" by Paul Zimmermann,
 |    ;; INRIA technical report RR-3805, 1999.  (Used in gmp 4.*)
 |
 | basically because Zimmermann's method's final divide is half the size
 | of the final divide of the previous method.

The Kurihara algorithm in portable R5RS Scheme is now in SLIB
(http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/slib/slib/root.scm?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup).

If someone contributes Zimmermann's algorithm coded in R5RS Scheme and
it is faster in several implementations, then SLIB will incorporate
it.