Common Lisp solved this problem 20 years ago

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

The prime goal of this SRFI seems to be to enable Scheme implementations to make the same type inferences that C implementations can make. Yes?

I aplaud this goal. However, rather than create this horrid mess of type-specific operators, I would much prefer an approach that used type declarations, perhaps:

  (with-flonum (x y) (/ x y))
  (with-fixnum (n m) (* n m))

Essentially, if you want to do this, follow Common Lisp.

Yes, I know that if you provide Lisp-like macros and these type-specific operators, then I can implement these myself. However, my gut tells me that this sort of thing should be provided by the compiler writer.

Regards,

Alan
--
Dr Alan Watson