Re: arithmetic issues

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

 | Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:39:01 -0500
 | From: Alan Watson <a.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 |
 | Aubrey Jaffer wrote:
 | >  | > Flonums often are the most difficult feature to port to new
 | >  | > architectures.
 | >  |
 | >  | Why do you say that?
 | >
 | >From the experience of porting SCM to dozens of C compilers.
 |
 | Okay, when you said "architecture" I thought you refered to CPU
 | instructions and data formats. Yes, compilers are a pain and there
 | are frequent bugs in the standard library.

Sorry for the confusion; platform would have been a better word.

 | >  | That is, I would mandate only unlimited size integers in the
 | >  | core.  The rest of the tower should be moved to the library.
 | I would distinguish "moving the rest of the tower to a library in
 | the *language* *definition*" and "moving the rest of the tower to a
 | library in an *implementation*".
 |
 | That is, moving all but exact integers out of the core of the
 | language definition simplifies the language definition and keeps it
 | grounded in things that are generally agreed to be correct.

I agree; exact integers are certainly the best basis for formal
specification.

 | However, that does not prohibit implementors from including
 | important aspects of other numbers in the core of their
 | implementation. For example, the core of their implementation could
 | have representation and garbage collection for flonums, ratnums,
 | and whatever else. You would probably end up duplicating some
 | arithmetic routines, but that's about it.
 |
 | > [In SCM] The arithmetic subrs test first for INUMs, then bignums,
 | > then flonums.  The type dispatch for bignums and flonums is very
 | > similar.  It would be good to find what causes the difference.
 |
 | This is my point.  The branches for inums and bignums are probably
 | predicted as taken.  Thus, when you use these generic operators on
 | flonums, you incur two mispredicted branches.  flonum-specific
 | operators would save those.

Point taken.

 |  > I tested SCM and SCMLIT (fixnums only), both compiled with gcc
 |  > -O3, computing 2000 digits of pi 4 digits at a time on a Pentium
 |  > 4 3.00GHz.  The benchmark uses only small integers.
 |  >
 |  > SCM took 5330.ms, while SCMLIT took 3330.ms, a substantial
 |  > savings.
 |
 | However, your results suggest to me that perhaps some of the
 | branches are not predicted as they should be. It might be worth
 | using the "__builtin_expect" feature of GCC to hint to the compiler
 | that numbers are expected to be inums.

I tried adding __builtin_expect() to several of the type dispatch
macros.  The one which sped up was used mainly for testing assertions.
It reduces the times to 4480.ms (SCM) and 2970.ms (integer-only).
Thanks!

 | Of course, type-specific operators are "just" a performance hack to
 | get around a lack of type analysis in many implementations. Hats
 | off to stalin.

There are some other possible uses.  Algebraic Petrofsky points out
that a real-only EXPT can do (expt -27 1/3) ==> -3, which R5RS EXPT
won't.