Re: Arithmetic issues

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Michael Sperber wrote:

>Now, the Issues section in the SRFI is pretty long.  We were hoping to
>get some feedback on where people stand on these issues, so it'd be
>great if you could see it as some kind of questionnaire and just fire
>off your position on the issues where you have one.  You don't have to
>bother with a rationale.  (But of course rationales are always
>appreciated.)

Oh...kay.

> Instead of requiring the full numeric tower, R6RS could require only
> the fixnum/flonum base, and make the full tower available as modules
> in the standard library.

I think the problem with that is that you then need to be able to hack
the reader/writer so as to recognize or write the syntax of rational
and complex numbers depending on whether the library is loaded.  And
there is no way, currently, for hacking on the level of object syntax
to be done in portable scheme code.  I would adore it if there were
a way to do that, but opening up the read/write functions with 'hooks'
that a library can stick appropriate routines into and later remove
them from, would be a very large kettle of worms.

Another problem is that for different applications, you'd want
different parts of the numeric tower; for, eg, orbit calculations or
quantum physics, I'd want extended-precison flonums and complex
numbers - but not rationals.  For diophantine equations or number
theory, I'd want bignums and exact rationals, but neither standard nor
extended-precision flonums.  For crypto, I'd want bignums but not
flonums.  etc.

And I think that most of the people, most of the time, who get
infinite-precision rationals don't actually want them.  They're vital
for a very few things, but most of the time I have to remember to make
a deliberate step or two to avoid them.  For general computation, I'm
a big fan of being able to ask for extended (but finite) precision
floating point numbers, but not a big fan of a representation like
infinite-precision rational that gives back a number with a
representation bigger and slower to work with than your arguments'
representations almost every time you do anything to it.

> Should a minimum precision be required for fixnums or flonums?

I think it's reasonable to require at least a 23-bit fixnum range.
But I'd be deeply surprised if requiring it made a difference to
any implementor.  Flonum precision I'm fairly agnostic about,
except I want a way to query the system to see how big an "ULP"
is for a given number and what the maximum/minimum magnitudes
for a float are.

> Should the range of a fixnum be restricted to a power of two? To a
> two's complement range?

I don't think it would be useful to do so.  Knowing that it's a power
of two, or a twos-complement range, doesn't help much unless it
actually matches the size of some kind of machine word.  Since scheme
fixnums usually steal a few bits for typetags, they're not going to
match that particular range anyway.  I'd go for the ability to
evaluate expressions like (max-fixnum) or (min-fixnum) to find out the
limits, but I see no point in constraining the limits in that way.

> The fixnum operations provide efficient fixnums that "wrap."
> However, they do not give efficient access to the hardware
> facilities for carry and overflow. This would be desirable to
> implement efficient generic arithmetic on fixnums portably. On the
> other hand, there isn't much experience with formulating a portable
> interface to these facilities.

So far I have no recommendation for a solution.  I'm too busy admiring
the problem.  Each of the first dozen things my brain came up with
looks like an ugly kluge.  I sincerely hope someone has a better idea
than any of the ones I had.

> The fixnum operators wrap on overflow, i.e., they perform modular
> arithmetic.  For many purposes, it would be better for them to
> signal an error in safe mode. Since the modulus is
> implementation-dependent, portable code cannot generally take
> advantage of the wrapping. Instead, applications are likely to use
> fixnums simply to avoid the overhead of generic arithmetic under the
> assumption that all quantities computed fit in the fixnum range, and
> feedback if this turns out not to be the case will be valuable. On
> the other hand, the wrapping semantics can also be useful, i.e., in
> the coding of a practical implementation of bignums in terms of
> fixnums. It may be that we should consider including two sets of
> operators: fx operators that signal an error upon overflow and wfx
> operators that wrap.

That (providing different operators) seems reasonable to me.  There is
a case for an "error behavior mode" but if global it seems that it
would be necessarily clumsy.  Most good ways of implementing an "error
behavior mode" that I can think of apply to particular modules and
files in a compilation or build process - ie, someone should be able
to pick on a fairly fine grain exactly what subset of source code is
subject to the stricter or looser error reporting rules.  And that
means we get into the module system, which is already a whole mess of
worms, right?  I wouldn't revisit this idea until scheme has an
accepted, standardized module system.

> Should the binary fixnum/flonum operations allow other than two
> arguments?

I'd consider it to be a good thing if they did. Rationale; I envision
an optimization process where the programmer first gets the code
working using generic operations, and then does small-change
performance tweeks like using less-general functions where it won't
affect correctness, while checking against the pristine code for
errors.  Taking out a generic '+' and dropping in an 'fx+' should be a
primary example of such a tweek, and therefore fx+ should have as many
of the same argument signatures as + so as to facilitate the smallest
possible changes being useful.

> What are the semantics of "safe mode" and "unsafe mode"? (This is a
> much larger question that R6RS should address.)

The simple answers to this question will hose the people who are using
their implementations' error reporting mechanisms as flow-of-control
information via signals, conditions, traps, etc.  At first blush, I'd
say that "safe mode" should report errors whenever it can detect
them, and make serious effort to detect them.  Unsafe mode should simply
assume whatever conditions are necessary for the code it's looking at
to be correct, and give undefined behavior if those conditions fail.

But the condition systems and error signalling used by several
applications make an interesting sideshow of this question; some
programs literally depend for their correctness on certain errors
being signalled in certain ways.  So an "unsafe mode" that gave
undefined behavior instead of reporting the errors they need it to
report would cripple them.  Side question; do we want such programs
to be portable?  Ever?

> Should R6RS allow other inexact reals beside the flonums? This draft
> does allow them, at the cost of some complications and additions
> such as real->flonum.

I'd say yes.  For example, "accounting numbers" where the exponent is
base-10 instead of base-2 can be very useful.

>Should the R5RS procedures for generic arithmetic (e.g. +) remain in
>R6RS? Here are five possible answers, phrased in terms of the +
>procedure:

> + is not defined in R6RS.
> + is defined to be a synonym for the ex+, so its domain is restricted
> to exact arguments, and always returns an exact result.

> + is defined as the union of the ex+ and in+ procedures, so all of its
> arguments are required to have the same exactness, and the exactness
> of its result is the same as the exactness of its arguments.

> + is defined as in R5RS, but with the increased portability provided
> by requiring the full numeric tower. This alternative is described in
> the section R5RS-style Generic Arithmetic.

> + is defined to return an exact result in all cases, even if one or
> more of its arguments is inexact. This alternative is described in the
> section Generic Exact Arithmetic.

+ (and similar math functions) should remain in R6RS. It should be
  defined on *ALL* numeric representations the implementation
  provides, including as much of the full numeric tower as is loaded,
  and any extensions, so requiring all args to have the same exactness
  or representation otherwise seems fairly nonsensical.

  Returning exact from an addition on arguments at least one of which
  was inexact also seems nonsensical to me, so I'd reject the fifth
  posiblity out of hand.

					Sigh.
					More later.
					Must sleep now.