Re: Arithmetic issues

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On 10/18/05, Michael Sperber <sperber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now, the Issues section in the SRFI is pretty long.  We were hoping to
> get some feedback on where people stand on these issues, so it'd be
> great if you could see it as some kind of questionnaire and just fire
> off your position on the issues where you have one.  You don't have to
> bother with a rationale.  (But of course rationales are always
> appreciated.)

I think the full numeric tower should be optional, since there are many
Scheme implementations for tiny environments (PICBIT), highly
specialized environments (Schemix) or are used for embedding.
Making the full numeric tower mandatory would preclude these specialized
environments - an area where Scheme used to thrive, due to its small
size.

cheers,
felix