Re: meta-comment on typing

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

John.Cowan wrote:
For example, if the programmer knows that f is a list of fixnums, there
is no way to apply fixnum addition to them, whereas (apply fx+ f) is trivial.

Well. fx+ as currently specified is binary.
So (apply fx+ f) is equivalent to:
(apply (lambda ((v1 :: <fixnum>) (v2 :: <fixnum>)) (+ v1 v2))
       f)
For a general-length list one can of course use reduce.

Admittedly more tedious.

Similarly, a HOF involving fixnums can't take advantage of fixnum arithmetic:

	(define (op f (x :: fixnum) (y :: fixnum)) (f x y))

will perform generic addition, not fixnum addition, if called as (op + 2 3).

No, it will perform fixnum arithmetic, but fixnum arithmetic will be
selected using a run-time type dispatch.

This requires that integers and fixnums are distinguishable at runtime.
I.e. (eqv? 10 (as <fixnum> 10)) => #f
though: (= 10 (as <fixnum> 10)) => #t
just like: (eqv? 10 10.0) =>f and (= 10 10.0) => #t.

I have mixed feelings about whether fx+ should be in R6RS.
I would like for (fx+ x y) to be equivalent to:
(+ (as <fixnum> x) (as <fixnum) y))

That does require that 10 and (as <fixnum> 10) be different.
This can be partly hidden from implementations that don't have
separate fixnum values, if we define (fixnum? x) as testing
whether x is in the fixnum *range* rather than having the fixnum type.

What I do need to request is this:
(eqv? 5 (fx+ 2 3)) => unspecified
--
	--Per Bothner