Re: Issues with Unicode

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 75 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 75 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

   Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:55:34 -0400
   From: John Cowan <cowan@xxxxxxxx>

   Sebastian Egner scripsit:

   > One could start with a SRFI for immutable strings as an add-on
   > library---in the hope that the Scheme community will pick it up
   > as the primary string type in the distant future.

   Actually, getting immutable strings into R6RS would be trivial in
   terms of the document:  simply replace the sentence

           String-set! stores CHAR in element K of STRING and returns an
           unspecified value.

   in 6.3.5 with the following:

           String-set! returns a string whose elements the same (in the
           sense of eqv?) as those in STRING, with the exception of element
           K, which is instead the same as CHAR.  String-set! may or may
           not return a string which is the same as STRING, but must not
           side-effect STRING.

(I think you probably meant to strike the exclamation mark from the
name.)  My alternative string API almost provides this anyway, by the
way, under the name STRING-DISPLACE:

  (STRING-SET string cursor char)

    <=>

  (STRING-DISPLACE string cursor (STRING-CURSOR+ cursor string) char).