Re: Surrogates and character representation

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 75 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 75 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Thomas Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> writes:

>> I want chars where the *computer* takes care of the coding.  I
>> want chars that are fully-understood characters, not little pieces of
>> a character.
>
> Hopefully, since it's not clear exactly how to give you what
> you want, R6RS will give you an environment in which you can
> elaborate that idea in a portable way, propose it as standard,
> and have lots of implementors try it out in their implementation
> to see how they feel about it.

Hopefully.  Unfortunately, there are folks around who want to mandate
how char->integer works, who want to mandante that strings be
implemented like arrays, who want to mandate that a given UTF encoding
be used for this or that purpose, who want to mandate functions that
are inconsistent with proper Unicode support, and so forth.

My sole goal here is to encourage people *not* to standardize things
that hose the kind of system I'm interested in.  Standardizing things
that don't hose it is fine.