Re: the "Unicode Background" section

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 75 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 75 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Matthew Flatt scripsit:

> FWIW: MzScheme originally supported a larger set of characters, mainly
> because extra bits are available my implementation. The resulting bad
> experience convinced me to define characters in terms of scalar values,
> instead.

Can you give the details of the bad experience?

There is a potential problem that a UTF-16 input may contain an unpaired
surrogate, and then it's not clear what to do with it.  Admittedly that's
out of scope for this SRFI, but it'll have to be tackled eventually, and
if surrogate codepoints don't have a representation, the obvious tactic
will be blocked.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths