Re: the "Unicode Background" section

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 75 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 75 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Thomas Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> writes:

> The Unicode Background section of the new draft has
>
>   > It is thus appropriate to define Scheme characters as Unicode scalar
>   > values, which includes all code points except those designated as
>   > surrogates.
>
> That seems wrong-headed to me.   Characters should simply
> be codepoints, instead.

A second ago you were saying that we should not be arguing about how
high-level characters are.  I think charaters should be graphemes.

> If CHARs are codepoints, more basic Unicode algorithms translate
> into Scheme cleanly.

Those algorithms all deal with encodings, and should therefore, it
seems to me, be in the interface between arrays-of-integers and
strings.  Strings are not arrays-of-integers!

> If CHARs are codepoints, they have simple algebraic properties
> in relation to integers.

Except characters are not integers.  Scheme is not C.

Thomas