Does this change identifiers (variables) or only symbols?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 75 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 75 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

In a message called "the discussion so far"
of 2005-07-16, 06:41:51 -0600
Matthew Flatt writes:

> For an R6RS definition of "character", I think the editors would
> like to include most things that people wish to write within an
> identifier or string constant.

This seems to imply that srfi-75 is meant to change the syntax
of identifiers.  I am confused on that point.  The word "identifier"
does not occur in the text of the srfi, and the word "variable"
occurs only in the hyphenated combinations "variable-width" and
"variable-length".  (Are those the same?)

At first I thought that since variables are not mentioned,
they were to remain the same as in r5rs, but some posters
to the discussion list seem to assume otherwise.
e.g. (define |+ps:foo+| (|+ps:baz+|))

Can I now include Chinese and Hebrew characters in an
identifier used as a variable or macro keyword?  Is it important
that identifiers and symbols have the same lexical structure
(as is the case in r5rs)?  Does this srfi mean to make them
different or redefine both of them?

Given that a string can contain any Unicode character, why
do we care about the about the name of a symbol?
In the 1960's something like symbols were often used because
LISP 1.5 did not have anything like strings.
Surely we are past that!
So what are the symbols used for that requires them
to have non-Ascii names?

(define string-set! #f)

--
     -- Keith Wright