Re: here strings and symbols

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 75 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 75 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Mike wrote:
> > This exactly is my point: The example you gave is awkward because the
> > 'here identifiers' you use are multi-line. With one-liners I could
> > print the stuff like this:
> >
> > (define |+ps:foo+| (|+ps:baz+|))
>
> So is it fair to say that you don't want "here symbols" but rather an
> alternative to | ... | for writing down identifiers?

Yes.

> It still seems to me you're doing a simple kind of encoding, albeit a
> simple one.  After all, you still need to choose a delimiter character
> (rather than a delimiter string as with here strings) that doesn't
> appear in the identifier.

Correct, but most [all?] grammars for identifiers I know leave some
characters out that can be chosen as delimiter, e.g. '+', 'å' or ' '.
So in practice, you do not really inspect the identifier at all.

> If that's the case, why is it a problem to
> simply let WRITE-on-a-string-port (as suggested by Matthew) figure out
> the quoting for you?

Two reasons:
1. The language that needs to do the quoting (e.g. PostScript) might not have a WRITE-on-a-string-port at all.
2. Scheme is one of those languages.

Sebastian.