Re: case mappings

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 75 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 75 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

bear <bear@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> This is why I think "glyph=character" is more or less required
> for a language that wants to have "single character" arguments to
> and returns from case mapping functions.  You cannot do it in a
> fashion compliant to the Unicode standard if you use
> "codepoint=character" instead.

We cannot have single character arguments for case mapping functions.
You can't even do it if you have "glyph=character", because there are
case mappings which map multiple characters.  (Es-zet being the
classic, but hardly the only, example.)

> The best we can hope for, and the point of language design, is to make
> it easy to do the right thing; there is no way we can prevent
> programmers from doing the wrong thing if they're so inclined, nor
> even make it the slightest bit difficult.  Our duty is to make sure
> the right thing is no harder to do than the wrong thing.

We should also not provide functions which are automatically the wrong
thing.