what about dropping rest-lists?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 71 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 71 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

When thinking of single-value return as just a case of multiple-value
return, I like the clean syntactic symmetry between:

    (let ( (a     (foo)) ) ...)

and:

    (let ( (a b c (bar)) ) ...)

The "values" keyword as a kludge to support rest-lists, however, strikes
me as a syntactically ugly way to support an operation that I'd expect
to use only rarely.

If rest-lists are to be supported, I'd like a cleaner syntax.  What that
syntax should be, I have no good suggestion.  The historical syntax of
the single-value binding clause of "let" precludes good syntactic
symmetry with "lambda"'s argument syntax, and it also adds extra parens
to the most common case, which is a single-value binding:

    (let ( ((a)     (foo)) ) ...)
    (let ( ((a b c) (bar)) ) ...)
    (let ( (x       (bar)) ) ...)

In summary, I'd really like to see "let", "let*", "letrec", and
"letrec*" extended for multiple-value, but would like to drop the
"(value ...)" syntax, even if that means dropping rest-list support.

--
                                             http://www.neilvandyke.org/