Re: inexactness vs. exactness

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 70 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 70 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

I think Aubrey's interpretation can be rescued if we adopt the following:

Inexacts represent intervals but also have a canonical value that lies somewhere in the interval. When a operation is performed on inexacts, the result is the inexact whose interval includes the mathematical value obtained by performing the corresponding mathematical operation on the canonical values of the arguments.

An example implementation would be with floating point numbers and all operations with zero ULPs of error.

I'm not saying this is practical or desirable. I am also not saying that it is the only valid reading of R5RS.

Regards,

Alan
--
Dr Alan Watson