Re: string->number

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 70 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 70 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

 | From: Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@xxxxxxxxxx>
 | Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:27:30 -0700
 |
 | Aubrey Jaffer <agj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
 |
 | > Polar representation works because the polar coordinates of Real
 | > numbers are in one-to-one correspondence with the Real numbers.
 | > But one cannot casually add new inexact representations.
 |
 | I didn't say you could; I'm speaking about adding a new *exact*
 | representation.  You seem to keep missing that, despite my repeating
 | it now three times.

My apologies; I misinterpreted "this exactness can be easily preserved
with a straightforward implementation." to refer to both exacts and
inexacts.

This thread is the result of my neglecting to qualify (as specific to
inexacts) a comment about numerical representations.  R5RS facilitates
the incorporation of new varieties of exact numbers and their
representations.