Re: My suggestions to the R6RS committee about numerics

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 70 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 70 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

"Chongkai Zhu" <mathematica@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> What if we know (exactly) a number is an imaginary number, but only
> know ineaxtly it's magnitude?  "0+1.0i" seems nature.

Yes, but Scheme doesn't provide this.  Scheme's numeric system doesn't
allow for "partial exactness".  It's not special for complex numbers;
the same could be true for rationals: what if the numerator is known
exactly, and the denominator inexactly?

Thomas