Re: Meta-test suite

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 64 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 64 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Donovan Kolbly wrote:

More crucially, there does not seem to be any way for a portable runner to
keep track of the nesting of test suites.

The API should probably have a way to get the value of (test-runner-group-path).
One detail: the latter has the suite-names in reverse order, since the
implementation uses a stack; a public function should probably return the
names in top-to-botton order.  That's a minor tweak.

I'm not sure yet what to
suggest for SRFI-64 to track suite nesting, but something along the lines
of a `test-runner-on-suite-begin!' and `test-runner-on-suite-end!' would
probably do it (*).

That might be useful for some things, though I don't think it should be needed
to keep track of the "group-path", which the framework should do.

[*] do you want to call these things "suites" or "groups"?  The
    terminology seems to vary from place to place, or am I still missing
    something....

Hm.  I think a "test suite" is a collection of tests, which consists of
individualt "test cases", which are usually grouped into "test groups".
A test-begin/test-end-pair together with whatever's between them is an
implicit/informal test group, while a test-group is an explicit test group.

A test suite is whatever gets run user a test runner.

Does that sound reasonable?  If so, "suite-name" should be "group-name".
--
	--Per Bothner