Unicode and Scheme

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

I mentioned earlier that I've submitted a draft SRFI about changes and
extensions to R5RS to make Scheme extended-character-set-friendly
(Unicode-friendly in particular).

I've drafted two additional proposals for:

~ Specifications for what happens if Unicode codepoints are,
  indeed representable as CHAR? values.

~ Specifications for identifier syntax and meaning if identifiers
  can be written using non-ASCII, Unicode characters.

These can be found at:

  http://regexps.srparish.net/srfi-drafts/INDEX.html

which contains:

* "Permitting and Supporting Extended Character Sets":
   basic changes needed to R5RS to make Unicode-based Schemes
   practical and conformant.

* "Scheme Characters as (Extended) Unicode Codepoints":
   Defining the CHAR? type to be a superset of Unicode codepoints.

* "Unicode Identifiers":
  Internationalizing the Scheme Programming Language.

  Note: "Unicode Identifiers" is the roughest of the three documents
  and I'm certain I could use some help with it.

It also contains some other string-related documents which aren't
Unicode-specific but which do make proposals that would interact with
both Unicode characters and strings and FFIs.

-t