Re: How many spaces a tab is worth

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 49 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 49 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Dear Bear,

I won't comment much on your mail, as it seems to mostly be a troll.
This said, your comment on Schemes with this syntax enabled by default
needs a remark; the syntax is constructed in such a way as to be
backward compatible with the normal S-expression-based syntax -
I-expressions could be enabled by deffault without breaking any but a
very small set of old code.

Specifically, the only code that would break, would be code that had
two consecutive topplevel expressions, with the second line indented
more, as in

(define foo bar)

   (define fie naja)

To code like that clearly is not very usefull, and so isn't found in
many progams (most progams I've seen have had all topplevel
expressions non-indented).

However, regardless of this, I _do_ agree withy you and don't think
anything like this should be "enabled by default", there simply is no
need for that as SRFI-7 gives a way for a Scheme program to specify
its need for this or any other SRFI, and some implementors may shoose
to implement this SRFI as a module in their module-system (my
reference implementation for example, is a GNU Guile module), in which
case their normal module import function can be called uppon to use
this SRFI.

The rest of your garbage, I've dumped in /dev/null...

Best regards,
Egil

--
http://redhog.org