Re: Much simpler leak-free implementation possible?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 40 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 40 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Thursday, August 14, 2003 5:38 PM, Andre van Tonder
[SMTP:andre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
>   Although late in the process and a newcomer to this group, the
>   following may be of some interest:

Many thanks for an insightful and thoughtful post on implementing
streams via continuation-passing style.  I implemented my streams
via promises, and it is highly interesting to see an implementation
so totally different.

I encourage you to extend your proof-of-concept to a full reference
implementation.  Having a second reference implementation would
be useful for a variety of reasons.  It would let the srfi discussion
more easily separate concepts from implementation.  Implementers
would doubtless like to have two reference implementations, as one
or the other might fit better with their scheme system.  And it would
be useful for testing, especially to be sure that libraries of stream
functions are portable across the two implementations.

I have several suggestions if you decide to extend your proof-of-
concept.  I've even appended some code that might help.

First, you will need to implement streams in terms of SRFI-9 records
or some other system that provides disjointness of types, so you
can write type-checking functions like stream?, stream-null?, and
stream-pair?.  This isn't hard, and gives you an opportunity to hide
some of the underlying mechanism.

Second, you will need to decide on and implement some abstraction
that hides the underlying cps mechanism.  In my implementation,
that abstraction is stream-delay, which is syntax that takes an
expression and returns a stream.  As an example of what your
implementation would need to do, consider stream-map, in the style
of the srfi reference implementation, on the left, and andre-map, the
equivalent function using your cps-style streams, on the right (error
checking has been removed for clarity, only one stream may be
input, this code is untested use at your own risk):

(define (stream-map f s)                    (define (andre-map f s)
  (stream-delay                                   (codelay
                                                           (lambda (k)
                                                             (andre-map* f s k))))
                                                      (define (andre-map* f s k)
                                                        (coforce s
                                                          (lambda (s*)
    (if (stream-null? s)                              (if (null? s*)
       stream-null                                         (k '())
       (stream-cons                                      (k (cons
         (func (stream-car s))                              (func (car s))
         (stream-map f                                       (andre-map f
           (stream-cdr s)))))))                                 (cdr s))))))))

The difficulties for a user of your stream library are that they have to
understand all of the codelay/coforce and lambda/define stuff that
forms the cps mechanism, and they have to understand why they
should use car and cdr rather than stream-car and stream-cdr.  That
makes their life hard, needlessly; it is also a likely source of error.
Better your life as the implementer should be hard, since you only
have to do the hard work once.

Third, you will have to extend your implementation of stream-unfold.
Although I appreciate the insight behind your cps implementation,
I belive your characterization of your stream-unfold as "trivial" and
"vastly simpler" than the one in the srfi reference implementation
is unfair, because you solve a considerably simpler problem.  Here
is an implementation of a stream-unfold1 that is similar to your
unfold but based on promises as in the srfi (again, this is untested
code):

(define (stream-unfold1 gen seed)
  (stream-delay
    (let unfold1 ((seed seed))
      (call-with-values
        (lambda () (gen seed))
        (lambda (next result)
          (cond ((pair? result)
                     (stream-cons (car result) (unfold1 next)))
                   ((null? result) stream-null)
                   ((not result) (unfold1 next))))))))

That is no more difficult or complicated than your code, just
different.  Extending this code to handle multiple output streams
is hard.  The problem is that each "turn of the crank" of the
generator function may produce output for some of the streams,
but not all of them, and keeping the various output streams in
sync requires some tedious bookkeeping.  I can testify from
bitter experience that it is harder than it seems.

The other source of complexity in the srfi implementation of
stream-unfold is the desire for it to be fully lazy across all
implementations.  A major problem with the first reference
implementation was that the degree of laziness of the various
stream functions was highly dependent on the underlying scheme
implementation.  The current reference implementation solves
this problem by doing everything it possibly can -- a private
low-level delay and force, lambda lifting, and explicit tail
recursion elimination -- to be lazy everywhere, on all scheme
systems.  Some of the effort may not be needed everywhere,
and may amount to useless complication.

Fourth, you will need to complete some missing functions.
I have provided some of them for you in an attachment to
this note.

You suggested in your post that the cps implementation is
more natural and more easily extended to other data types
than the promise implementation.  Perhaps you could talk
more about these topics.  I implemented my streams using
promises, because that is traditional.  I see your implementation
using continuation-passing style as different, but neither more
nor less natural, and not inherently simpler, or clearer, or more
efficient, or easier to extend.  Certainly it is not hard to use
promises to implement other lazy data types besides streams,
as Okasaki demonstrates.

You said in a companion posting:

    By the way, the SRFI-40 reference implementation of
    stream-filter unfortunately seems to leak memory quite
    rapidly in MzScheme and even more rapidly in Chez
    Scheme.

    On my machine the times3 example using the SRFI
    stream-filter will run out of memory in <15 minutes in
    Mz and <5 minutes in Chez.

I can tell you that times3 runs to completion and correctly
evaluates (times3 1000000) on my Windows 98 machine, using
both MzScheme and Petite Chez Scheme, without thrashing
the hard disk looking for memory, although it does indeed run
quite slowly (several minutes for each, I never bothered to
time it).  Additionally, I have heard no other reports of space
leaks regarding the current implementation.

Please don't take anything I have said as being critical; as I
said earlier, yours is an interesting and insightful post.  I am
intrigued by your suggestions, and am hopeful you will provide
a complete reference implementation.

Phil

;;; andre-streams

(define-syntax codelay
  (syntax-rules ()
    [(codelay thunk-cps)
     (let ([memo-pair (cons #f #f)])
       (lambda (k*)
         (if (car memo-pair)
             (k* (cdr memo-pair))
             (thunk-cps (make-memoizer memo-pair k*)))))]))

(define (make-memoizer memo-pair k)
  (lambda (x)
    (set-car! memo-pair #t)
    (set-cdr! memo-pair x)
    (k x)))

(define (coforce promise k) (promise k))

(define-syntax match
  (syntax-rules ()
    [(match lst
       [()      exp1]
       [(h . t) exp2])
     (cond [(null? lst) exp1]
           [(pair? lst) (let ([h (car lst)]
                              [t (cdr lst)])
                          exp2)]
           [else 'match-error])]))

(define andre-nil
  (codelay
    (lambda (k)
      (k '()))))

(define (andre-nil? s)
  (coforce s (lambda (x) (null? x))))

(define-syntax andre-cons
  (syntax-rules ()
    ((stream-cons x s)
      (codelay
        (lambda (k)
          (k (cons x s)))))))

(define (andre-car s)
  (coforce s (lambda (x) (car x))))

(define (andre-cdr s)
  (coforce s (lambda (x) (cdr x))))

(define (andre-cutoff n s)
  (cond
    ((zero? n) '())
    ((andre-nil? s) '())
    (else (cons
             (andre-car s)
             (andre-cutoff (- n 1) (andre-cdr s))))))

(define (andre-map f s)
  (codelay
    (lambda (k)
      (andre-map* f s k))))
(define (andre-map* f s k)
  (coforce s
    (lambda (s*)
      (match s*
        (()     (k '()))
        ((h .t) (k (cons (f h) (andre-map f t))))))))

(define (andre-countdown n)
  (codelay
    (lambda (k)
      (k (cons n (andre-countdown (- n 1)))))))

(define (andre-ref n s)
  (coforce s
    (lambda (s*)
      (match s*
        (()      (error 'andre-ref))
        ((h . t) (if (zero? n)
                     (andre-ref (- n 1) t)))))))

(define (andre-filter p? s)
  (codelay
    (lambda (k)
      (andre-filter* p? s k))))
(define (andre-filter* p? s k)
  (coforce s
    (lambda (s*)
      (match s*
        (()      (k '()))
        ((h . t) (if (p? h)
                     (k (cons h (andre-filter p? t)))
                     (andre-filter* p? t k)))))))

;; andre-unfold1 : (b -> (#f | (cons (a | 'drop) b)) b -> stream a
(define (andre-unfold1 f seed)
  (codelay
    (lambda (k)
      (andre-unfold1* f seed k))))