SRFI 32

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 32 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 32 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Olin,

> Could y'all make a pass through
>     http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-32/
>     (sorting library)
> and
>     http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-32/
>     (integer bitops)
> and make sure
>   - No bad mistakes
>   - Y'all will be willing to adopt this?

I've just read through the SRFI-32 draft and scanned the archive of the
email discussion list.

Maybe I'm near-sighted, but where is the reference implementation?
David Feuer asked the same question on the discussion list, and I didn't
see a response.

I suspect that the LET-OPTIONALS macro is roughly equivalent to PLT's
opt-lambda -- I'd have to see the reference implementation to be sure.

High-level comment: this SRFI is well-organized and useful.  I think
it's up to Matthew whether to put this in MzScheme, but I'd be happy to
see it there.

Typos and quibbles:

  - "an SRFI" -> "a SRFI" (? depends on how you pronounce "SRFI" :-))

  - in the section on types of parameters and return values, it uses the
word "unspecified"; in the descriptions of procedures, this mutates to
"unspecific"

  - under `sort-lib', in the type for `vector-delete-neighbor-dups!',
the return value is named end'.  Hmmm, I'd avoid using a quote there,
and name it end2.  This name is used a couple of other places, I think.

  - in the description of START and END, `v' is lower-case in
(vector-length v), then upper-case in `where V ...'.  But this text may
be redundant, since the same setup is already described in the section
"All vector operations accept optional subrange parameters".

  - there is a general inconsistency in the capitalization of procedure
names, or maybe I don't understand why they're in upper-case in certain
places, and lower-case in others

  - in the snippet of code that follows "The definition is rather
different, given a <= comparator:", you should transpose `x' and `y' for
one of the arguments to `and'

  - in the type for `vector-merge!', the first optional argument is
given as `start', but later mentioned as `START0' (inconsistent
capitalization? as well as the `0')

  - `list-merge!' is described as "iterative, not recursive".  Hmmm,
that's a bit confusing to me -- I'd just write "iterative".

  - I don't understand the comment on "Pure list merge sort" that begins
"and possibly better ..." and what the "above" refers to.

  - it's stated that the `LIST-SORTED?' function *will* return false
given a <= comparator and a list with adjacent equal elements.  I think
that depends on the semantics of `LIST-SORTED?' (the intended semantics
is described later in the SRFI).  Maybe "may" is a better word choice
here, before the reader has seen that semantics.

  - after a lengthy discussion of why < is better than <=, there's a
reference to Common Lisp's similar choice.  I'd put that before your own
explanation, and say something like "While I don't know CL's reasons for
that choice, here are my own."

 - `vector-delete-neighbor-dups{!}' is described twice, as part of
sortlib and delndup-lib.  Also, the description that it implements a
linear-time algorithm appears twice (well, the second time, that also
applies to the list deletion procedures).

A more substantive comment:

  - I don't understand why there are four vector sort libraries.
Presumably, there's not a lot of code there.  Couldn't they go into just
one library?

On the order of arguments issue: I'd be in favor of putting the
procedure argument in front of list/vector data, uniformly.  If this
SRFI is widely-adopted, most of the procedure names will be new in most
implementations.  So you may as well do the right thing now, rather than
have to live with a bad decision for years to come.  It also helps to
distinguish Scheme from C, whose quicksort() puts the comparator last.
:-)

I think that the binary search procedure probably belongs elsewhere.  I
don't know if there's a SRFI that deals with search trees, etc., but
that's where I'd put it.

I hope you find these comments useful.

- -- Paul