Re: Several comments

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 22 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 22 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Marc Feeley <feeley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>   #! /bin/sh
>   "exec" "scheme-script" "$0" "$@"
>   (define (main arg1 arg2)
>     (write (+ (string->number arg1) (string->number arg2))))
>   (apply main (command-line-arguments))

I prefer this approach.  I think it is more compatible with the
traditional "load".

The Kawa compiler can take this kind of script, and if you compile
it with --main you get a stand-alone Java application.  If you load
it, you get the behavior expected of the script. I don't think the
rationale for easier debugging is strong enough to compensate for
a clumsier and less traditional interface.

I think "script-arguments" is not a good name.  What is a "script"?
Why the word "script" as apposed to "program" or "application"?
"command-line-arguments" is both more descriptive and avoids the
"script" vs "program" issue.  It is so descriptive that both Scsh
and Kawa use it - but they use it for a global variable.  Using it
for a function would clash.  Scsh does have "(command-line)" which
returns the complete command line, including the name the script
was executed as.
--
	--Per Bothner
per@xxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.bothner.com/~per/