Re: perhaps I've missed something ...

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 17 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 17 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Michael> sperber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor]) writes:

me> 1. what I, in my naivete about PL design, take "set!" to be?

me> (set! <name> <value>) translates, in my mind, to: dear Scheme, please
me> make it so that next time I say <name>, and <name> denotes the same
Michael>                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
me> thing as now, I get <value>.
Michael>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> But this intuition is wrong

Michael> I think you missed the now-underlined part.

No, I didn't.  What is the semantics of "denotes the same thing"?
You're effectively saying, "Next time I ask for the same thing, give
me something different."  What does that mean?  I understand what you
mean, but it requires an explanation which is considerably more
elaborate.  That explanation in turn makes clear the difference.

>> This is precisely the case students struggle with.

Well, sorry.  It's not their fault.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike