Re: specification by implications and example

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 17 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 17 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Per Bothner writes:

  It is valid syntactically.  It expands to:
	  ((setter (lambda (x) x)) y V)
  But since (lambda (x) x) does not have a setter associated
  with it, you'd get a (run-time) error.

  But this is allowed:

	  (set! ((if (random) car cdr) x) v)

Now this really raises the question about a formal specification. Could you
please provide a specification of the syntax and semantics of this stuff? I
would be happy with an operational semantics (i.e. an implementation in a
Scheme with define-syntax) or a rewriting model or an extension of the
denotational model or a definitional interpreter. (I am not teasing, I am
just curious. I can imagine a model in each framework, but there are so
many variations I can think of that I don't know how one could possibly
specify a SRFI w/o doing that much.)

-- Matthias