Re: shared-text substrings, start/end indices, xs><, etc.

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 13 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 13 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Olin>     From: Tom Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Olin>     * A reasonable alternative is to have two SRFI's: One, a
Olin>       string library without ubiquitous index parameters and
Olin>       without "substring/shared", the other, a SRFI for
Olin>       "substring/shared" in which that procedure is guaranteed to
Olin>       return a value which shares state with its primary string
Olin>       argument.

Olin> SRFI-13 is trying to walk a third path. I'm not willing to *require*
Olin> shared-text substrings. That's just not going to happen out there in
Olin> Scheme-land, at least we can't just mandate it. I'm just trying to allow
Olin> people to write portable code that can run reasonably efficiently across a
Olin> wide range of platforms -- some with shared-text substrings,
Olin> some without.

But efficiency is not the only issue here:  One might want shared-text
substrings for structural reasons.  On the other hand, *optional*
shard-text substrings make for very difficult debugging, especially if
your base implementation does not support them.  That's why I
suggested moving all this stuff out into a separate SRFI and *mandate*
it there.  SRFI 13 as it is simply conflates too many things.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike