Position of the Judean People's Front

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 13 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 13 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

So I managed to read the latest draft.  Here are my comments, pretty
much unrelated to what anyone else thinks the open issues really are:

- What's the rationale for having STRING-DO-EACH on top of
  STRING-FOR-EACH?  I can't see any plausible efficiency gains, as
  there are for MAP.

- Everything is parameterized with STRING-COMPARE, why not the meaning
  of "mismatch"?

- I really am for dumping the case-fiddling and recognition procedures
  and suffixes.  The way they are now, they are woefully
  underspecified and thorougly anglocentric.  These things would be
  more useful alongside a better specification of the underlying
  character set.  (Unicode probably doesn't make sense here, but ISO
  8859-1 would at least make more sense than the present situation,
  for example.)

- The same holds for the inequality predicates, unless their
  specifications would change to refer to the return value of
  CHAR->INTEGER.

- There should be an explicit mention of SRFI 14 in the introduction.

- I think this shared-substring stuff is cool, but pretty specialized,
  and completely unnecessary for most applications.  I would love to
  see them in a separate SRFI.  You could actually *require* sharing
  there.

- I think the name STRING-CONCATENATE is badly chosen.  Why not
  STRING-APPEND-LIST?

- The "Lower-Level Procedures" are exclusively for argument checking.
  They're not particularly low-level, nor are they all procedures.
  This should be stated.

  The procedures contain veiled references to a condition system, and
  even try to pass information to it, which it may or not be able to
  use.  In their present form, they should go.

- The Knuth-Morris-Pratt stuff should also really go into a separate
  SRFI.  It's useful, but much more rarely than the other stuff.

- Oh, and I vote for bagging CAPITALIZE-STRING[!].

--
Cheers =8-} Mike