Re: Last call

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 120 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 120 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

If the whole timer (all tasks) runs on a single thread, then how are
multiple tasks scheduled successfully?  For example, suppose a timer
has two tasks, one runs every 5 sec and one every 1 sec.  If the first
task takes 3 sec to run, and the second task takes 0.5 seconds, then
to run them all requires 6 sec, which is more time than you have.
In that case, it's better to make 2 timers. It can also be users'
responsibility to choose period properly, I think. The case I was
considering was that a timer would have 100 tasks and they can be
done in 1ms or so such as expiring server session. In this case,
creating a thread per task is too much.

> So unless I misunderstand completely, each task must run in a separate
> thread.
Implementations may choose like this but the SRFI doesn't specify how
the tasks are executed.

_/_/
Takashi Kato
E-mail: ktakashi@xxxxxxxxx