What should other string-returning procedures do?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 118 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 118 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

I think this is an excellent SRFI, and I support it.

However, it specifies only that `make-string` must return
a variable-length string.  What about `string`, `string-*case`,
`substring`, `string-copy`, and `string-map`?

My notion is that `string` ought to be free to return either a
variable-length or a fixed-length string, and that the others ought
to be guaranteed to return variable-length strings if (not iff) their
string argument is variable-length.

Also, what about conversions between fixed-length and variable-length
strings?  On Kawa, these would be no-ops, but on other systems they
might not be.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@xxxxxxxx
Original line from The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold: