Re: ANN: SRFI 155: Scheme Regular Expressions

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 115 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 115 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 07:46:28AM +0900, Alex Shinn wrote:
> IrRegex has quite a lot more users.  It's the builtin regexp
> engine for Chicken, and is used in a number of other
> implementations.  It's harder to say how many people just
> use it for PCRE-style regexps, and how many actively
> use the SRE notation.

I much prefer the SRE notation, and use => in some cases.  However,
I see the SRFI as a distinct process, "inspired" by Irregex.  Perhaps
with some "lessons learned", so I wouldn't oppose a change, but
only if it's well-motivated.

> But we can still consider changing it.  I had written <-
> thinking of a syntax:
>
>   name <- pat
>
> without any parens (you'd need an explicit (: ...) wrapper
> in some cases), but this complicates parsing and there
> are many advantages to sticking to a pure prefix notation.
> So better would be
>
>   (-> name pat ...)

Yeah, the former example would break with Polish notation as is
tradition in Scheme, and simplicitly.  I think -> would be snaner,
but given that it's so similar to =>, I don't see the advantage in
switching.

Cheers,
Peter
--