Re: First impressions of the specification

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 110 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 110 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

David A. Wheeler scripsit:

> >   In particular, the abbreviations #', #`, #, and #,@
> >   are widely used by the syntax-case macro system.
>
> A fair point.  I didn't include them as requirements because
> R7RS drafts (currently draft 9) don't include them, but
> some sort of discussion does seem appropriate.

They ought to be included.  Not only does R6RS require them, but many
non-R6RS Schemes also provide syntax-case, often in the form of the
portable syntax expander.  However, Gauche, Chicken, STklos, and RScheme
provide SRFI-10, which conflicts with the syntax-case meaning of #,.
None of my other Schemes have any conflicts: they either implement
syntax-case or treat #, as an error.

> Perhaps something like "An implementation MAY support
> additional abbreviations, such as ..." and then listing those four.

Plausible.

--
De plichten van een docent zijn divers,         John Cowan
die van het gehoor ook.                         cowan@xxxxxxxx