Re: [srfi-11] LET-VALUES wrapup (was: Re: Another vote for more parens)

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 11 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 11 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

lth = Lars Thomas Hansen <lth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
eh = erik hilsdale <ehilsdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  eh>   (let-values ((IDENTIFIER EXP)) BODY)
  eh>   ==> (let ((IDENTIFIER EXP)) BODY)
  eh>          or, equivalently
  eh>       (call-with-values (lambda () EXP) (lambda (IDENTIFIER) BODY))

  lth> Holy cow, absolutely not!

  lth> 	 (let-values ((I E)) BODY)
  lth> 	 ==>  (call-with-values (lambda () E) (lambda I BODY))

  lth> There is only one case: any <formals> is allowable, and does
  lth> exactly what you would expect.  I thought I was clear about
  lth> this but I guess I must not have been.  The proposed expansion
  lth> above is in any case not allowed by the Report.

  lth> There is nothing profound about my spec for LET-VALUES.  It is
  lth> merely sugar that aims to improve readability of programs (by
  lth> removing the use of CPS introduced by CALL-WITH-VALUES).  Among
  lth> other things I want to be able to capture all the returned
  lth> values in a list.  Mike (and maybe Dave, I can't tell) wants to
  lth> perserve the equivalence of (values 1) and 1 when
  lth> destructuring; I don't mind that, but it competes with the
  lth> ability to capture all values, which I value much more highly.

Sorry for the misunderstanding (or, really, the misattribution).  I
was summarizing what Mike-and-maybe-Dave (*smile*) seemed to be aiming
for.  As I poorly communicated in the rest of the message, I'm all for
the non-profound LET-VALUES.

	(let-values ((FORMALS EXP) ...) BODY)

-erik